||AHI Chapter Presidents, Congressional Contact Team Leaders, Members & Friends
||Nick Larigakis, AHI President
||Tuesday, July 25, 2011
||CONTACT YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVE TO CO-SPONSOR BILL THAT ALLOWS U.S. CITIZENS TO SEEK FINANCIAL RESTITUTION FOR PROPERTY OWNED IN OCCUPIED CYPRUS
In the summer of 1974 Turkey launched a two-phased invasion of the Republic of Cyprus, using U.S.-supplied arms and equipment to grab nearly 40 percent of Cyprus’s sovereign territory and force 170,000 Greek Cypriots from their homes and property.
AHI has long called for the restoration of property illegally taken in the northern-occupied area of Cyprus to their rightful owners, and payment by Turkey to the owners for deprivation of the use of their property
As a result, U.S. Representative Frank Pallone (D-6-NJ) has introduced a bill, H.R.2597, the “American-Owned Property in Occupied Cyprus Claims Act,” that would provide processes for remedies by which U.S. nationals can pursue financial restitution for the illegal use and occupation of their property located in Turkish-occupied Cyprus.
- The legislation, H.R.2597, was introduced July 20, 2011 by U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ). It has 2 co-sponsors as of July 25, 2011.
- The bill currently rests with two House committees, including the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and the House Committee on Judiciary.
- The co-sponsors are:
- Rep Bilirakis, Gus M. [FL-9] - 7/20/2011
- Rep Maloney, Carolyn B. [NY-14] - 7/20/2011
We urge you to contact your U.S. representative and ask him or her to co-sponsor H.R.2597.
- If you do not see your U.S. representative as a co-sponsor above, please contact his/her office today.
- Ask to speak with the Legislative Director or Foreign Affairs Legislative Assistant.
- Advise them you are a constituent, calling from [city or town] and that you’d like the representative’s support by co-sponsoring H.R.2597.
- Advise the Congressional staff person to contact Congressman Frank Pallone’s office to sign on as a co-sponsor.
- If you do see your legislator as a co-sponsor, please contact him or her to offer your thanks.
- Turkey has been described as a valued ally of the United States since the end of World War II and the U.S. has provided substantial economic and military assistance to Turkey.
- The United States and international community recognize the Republic of Cyprus as the legitimate government of Cyprus and has never accorded legal effect to the invasion and occupation of Cyprus by Turkey.
- Therefore, it is unacceptable that Turkey would exclude U.S. nationals from their real property—which is in violation of international law and the laws of Cyprus.
- By supporting this bill, the congressman/congresswoman will provide U.S. citizens who own property in illegally occupied Cyprus with the legal processes to pursue financial restitution for their property.
- Also by supporting this bill, the congressman/congresswoman would help the U.S. House take a significant step toward correcting one of the many injustices committed by Turkey since its illegal invasion and subsequent occupation of Cyprus 37 years ago.
CONTACT BY TELEPHONE
Contact your members of Congress by telephone by dialing the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202.224-3121.
CONTACT BY EMAIL/INTERNET
To write your representative, visit https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml to find your representative
NOTE: Please send a copy of your correspondence, or provide notice of a phone call made, to Demetra Astaloglou at
For further information or questions, please contact AHI, (202) 785-8430, or email